Hello from the Higher Education Opportunities Team at Bath Spa University
The Higher Education Opportunities Team (HE Opps) oversees the delivery of schools and
colleges outreach activities for the University.
Our activities include attending HE Fairs and hosting talks, workshops and activities to
support students, parents, and teachers and advisers across the UK to support applicants on
their journey into Higher Education.
We are always happy to hear from schools and colleges about supporting their year 11, 12
and 13 students with their transition to higher education. To book an activity, please email us on [email protected].
Within our team we provide high quality presentations and workshops to students, staff and parents related to higher education. These sessions can be delivered online, at your
institution or when appropriate at Bath Spa University.
The Ignite Outreach Package
Ignite is our outreach package designed to support and introduce students, their parents and teachers and advisors on topics relating to Higher Education. We can tailor and create an Ignite package to meet the individual needs of each school and college we work with.
Through discussions, group work, and games, we'll help engage your students and get them
excited about higher education. Examples of guidance workshops are as follows -
- IGNITE with Bath Spa University! - This session aims to provide an overview of what it’s like to study at Bath Spa University: highlighting societies, HE opportunities, accommodation and historic facts about our campuses.
- Choosing The Right University & Course - In this session, we will show students how to effectively research and compare degrees. Also covered are the different factors that students may prioritise when choosing a university, and how to utilise Open Days to their advantage.
- Your UCAS Journey & Personal Statement - This session will outline what the UCAS journey looks like, including key deadlines and top tips. In addition to this, we focus on the fundamentals of writing a personal statement and jargon bust some HE terminology.
- Understanding Student Finance & Budgeting - Students will learn about the types of funding available to them, the differences between tuition fees and maintenance loans, and facts about repayment. Furthermore, applying for Student Finance and an insight into how students budget their money.
- How to Study Effectively - In this session, students will gain an understanding of learning styles, how to identify their own learning style and a selection of specific revision strategies. We will cover time management and focus on how to create a realistic revision timetable.
- Why Higher Education? - Students will be introduced to the benefits of studying at Higher Education, learning about the projected financial and personal gains. We aim to illustrate a breakdown of the different types of qualifications available and how to discern which qualifications are needed for certain career paths.
- Student Life in Bath Spa - From a HE student perspective, we cover real experiences of studying at Bath Spa University, drawing attention to our academic opportunities and support facilities. With the help of student ambassadors, we also talk about university social life, Student’s Union, societies, as well as hear about their personal experiences. Student ambassador Q&A panel can be included.
- Supporting the Applicant’s Journey (For Parents & Guardians) - This session is for Parents and Guardians who wish to be more informed about how to support their young person through the application process. We will provide information on types of HE courses, how to navigate UCAS, key aspects of student finance, Clearing and tips on how to emotionally support their young person.
Interactive curriculum workshops
Choose from a range of education workshops to help inform your students about studying
their course of interest at university. These workshops are usually delivered by our
academics and will be targeted at a specific topic within the subject area. Examples of
subject areas are as follows -
- Business and Management
- Creative Computing
- Creative Writing
- Film, Media & Production
- Journalism and Publishing
- Performing Arts
- Religions, Philosophies and Ethics
- Social Science - e.g. Psychology, Sociology
- Science and Environment
Where possible we will always engage our Student Ambassadors in the work we do. We
believe that the most effective and valuable advice future students can receive about Higher
Education is by those on the ground, and those who have been on a similar journey to them.
If you would like us to set up a live Q & A panel with our student ambassadors, or have
students who would benefit from talking to a current university student - please let us know
and we can set something up for you and your student(s).
Discover Bath Spa University Video
Events without a specific start date
No Future Events Listed